Senior Chemist / Lab Manager
This is a senior role for all areas of the Chemistry Laboratory, covering in-depth chemical analysis to meet customer delivery and quality expectations whilst maximising and continuously improving production efficiencies and minimising costs. Develop, motivate and lead the Chemistry Laboratory team.
Chemistry Laboratory Team
Technical Services Director
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- To plan and maintain work systems, equipment, procedures and policies that enable and encourage the optimum performance of people and resources.
- To plan, direct and oversee the operation and fiscal health of the department.
- Provide oversight and direction to staff in accordance with the company’s policies and procedures.
- Review performance data that includes financial, sales and activity reports to monitor and measure departmental productivity.
- Use of classical wet chemistry and modern instrumental techniques for the analysis of a wide range of metal alloys and related materials.
- Carry out research, development and validation in existing and new methods / instrumentation and deliver relevant training.
- Perform investigation type work using consultative chemical and metallurgical knowledge and issue technical reports.
- Work under pressure, with a hands-on and flexible approach, to achieve deadlines.
- Liaise effectively with customers to understand and meet their demands from initial enquiry, through sampling requirements to certification and relevance of results.
- Ensure the Chemistry Laboratory team delivers a high standard of customer service whilst maintaining commercial viability.
- Any other work of a similar level allocated by the Technical Services Director but not fully outlined within this job description.
Essential Technical Knowledge
- In-depth chemical analysis capability: Glow Discharge Spectroscopy, Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy, Inductively Coupled Plasma Optical Emission Spectroscopy (ICP-OES), elemental analysis for carbon, sulphur, nitrogen and oxygen, classical Gravimetric and Volumetric “Wet” methods, Qualitative Depth Profile Analysis to identify material coatings, metallurgical treatments, Component Cleanliness checks, debris investigation.
- Detailed Process and Methodology control and efficiency.
- Full Commercial understanding of an independent laboratory testing facility.
- Quality Management capabilities and control which meet the requirements of internal and external approvals / accreditations. Knowledge of UKAS or Nadcap accreditations.
- Leadership skills including workload management, people management (coaching, mentoring and empowering staff), resource management.
- Forward thinking, able to develop the laboratory and its people including delivery of multi-skills training to the Chemistry Laboratory team.
- Able to demonstrate Continuous Improvement skills.
- Customer oriented approach to providing high quality analysis on time.
- A team-player.
- A strong communicator.
- A commercially focussed scientist able to develop the laboratory in line with business goals.
Qualifications and Experience
- Appropriate qualifications in Chemistry.
- Relevant experience in the field of metallurgical chemistry is essential.
- Experience in leadership and management in a commercial environment preferred.
- Negotiable subject to experience.
- Applications to be received by 12 noon on 20 February 2014